Episode 3:09: The Pico-Sized History of Nano
October 24th, 2022
57 mins 35 secs
About this Episode
Coming up in this episode
- Dropping out of the fediverse
- The tiny text
- Mozilla Watch
- The community holds us ransom
- Our app is faster than light
0:00 Cold Open
2:26 Press 'F' to Pay Respects
9:47 The Elm Mail System
10:56 Enter, PINE
11:44 PICO, the PIne COmposer
13:17 TIP Is not PICO
14:23 NANO's ANOther editor
14:57 "Lightning and the rest of 2000
17:37 2001, and the release of 1.0
18:49 2002-2015, Allegretta's gone and back again
21:37 The Drama in 2016
24:17 2016 to 2022, and my, how boring things got
25:13 About nano, and What's Next
31:26 Mozilla Watch
46:59 Community Focus: The Ransomware Files
48:57 App Focus: Warp
53:39 Next Time: Kali Linux
- Dan moves on Mastodon because the instance he is on is going away.
- So long, and thanks for all the fish.
History Series on Text Editors - GNU Nano
- GNU Nano
- Dave Taylor's Elm Mail System
- Laurence Lundblade and his cohorts were looking for something that had ease-of-use written all over it.
- Enter, Pine. The [freeware-like](wayback.archive.org/web/20001201215500/http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html) answer.
- "freeware-ish" label wasn't good enough. So, in 1999, Chris Allegretta, made changes to address that.
- TIP, which stood for TIP Is not Pico, 0.5.0 README.
- 2016 Looking for a new maintainer.
- Still looking
- Nano leaves GNU in 2.6.0
- Debian acknowledged and accepted the change.
- Come back to GNU in 2.7.0.
- Latest release August 2, 2022.
- Want to have a topic covered or have some feedback? - send us an email, email@example.com
- Firefox 106 is out!
- private browsing shortcut
- Firefox view
Catch these and other great topics as they unfold on our Subreddit or our News channel on Discord.
- Linux User Space subreddit
- Linux User Space Discord Server
- Linux User Space Telegram
- Linux User Space Matrix
- Menno (Email)
- EViL keybindings could be an option for Emacs if you are used to Vi/Vim. Thanks for the tip!
- JonG (Email)
- Glad you caught your shout out and are enjoying the podcast. We're still fans of the SK Hynix stuff too.
- Ryan (Email)
- Thanks for the Gentoo tips. I am sure we will get to it sometime soon-ish. We appreciate your feedback and are glad you are enjoying the show.
We will discuss Kali Linux and the history.
Come back in two weeks for more Linux User Space
Stay tuned and interact with us on Twitter, Mastodon, Telegram, Matrix, Discord whatever. Give us your suggestions on our subreddit r/LinuxUserSpace Join the conversation. Talk to us, and give us more ideas. All the links in the show notes and on linuxuserspace.show.
We would like to acknowledge our top patrons. Thank you for your support!
- Eduardo S.
- Jill and Steve