Coming up in this episode
- Releasing it when it's ready
- Exploitation Remotely
- Exploitation Locally
- Name Changes and Mergers
- And Kali as we see it today
The Video Version
0:00 Cold Open
1:04 Releasing When It's Ready
12:16 WHoppix vs. Auditor
14:40 WHAX, a Merger and Backtrack
17:50 Backtrack 4, 5 and Kali
23:09 Kali 2 Rolls Right Along
28:30 2020 to the Present
34:51 Kali as a Daily Driver?
1:03:25 Next Time: A Few Things
- Give us a sub on YouTube
- You can watch us live on Twitch the day after an episode drops.
- If you like what we're doing here, make sure to send us a buck over at https://patreon.com/linuxuserspace
Kali Linux the History
- whitehat.co.il - "This site aims to create a repository of tools and information for Penetration testers and ethical hackers."
- Max Moser releases from his company's website, moser-informatik.ch
- Whoppix based on Knoppix is released with thanks from muts
- muts announces that Whoppix has evolved into a new project - WHAX
- Max Moser's Auditor Security Collection had structure and stability
- The merger of WHAX and Auditor Security Collection was put to the community
- The two projects finished the merger and became Backtrack and were based on Slax.
- Offensive-Security.org was born and is the company backing Backtrack. Essentially a spinoff of Moser's remote-exploit.org
- Backtrack 2 is released
- Backtrack 3 is released
- Backtrack 4 was released
- Backtrack 5 dropped the Slax base and is now based on Ubuntu
- Backtrack 5 R3 was released and was the last release of Backtrack ever.
- The Kali Teaser
- Kali 1.0
- Bleeding Edge Kali
- Using the Linux Deploy app in Android, Kali could be installed
- Kali gets a self destruct button
- Kali soars among the cloud. Amazon's cloud, anyway.
- Metapackages are introduced
- EFI boot capabilities are added
- Kali NetHunter was released
- Official Docker images
- Kali gets another rebase
- Windows Subsystem for Linux
- Wireguard VPN support is official
- Support for Vagrant
- Raspberry Pi 4 support
- Revamp of the metapackages
- Running Kali as non-root user
- Kali Linux is spotted in the TV show Mr. Robot
- kids.kali.org was launched! Yes, it was for April fools.
- 2022.2 brought Hollywood-Activate
- 2022.3 is the latest release at the time of the recording
- Want to have a topic covered or have some feedback? - send us an email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kali Linux Links
- Kali Linux Web Page
- Kali Linux Docs
- Kali Tools Docs
- Kali Forums
- Kali Discord
- Kali Blog
- About Kali Linux page
- Kali for Arm
- Kali NetHunter
Catch these and other great topics as they unfold on our Subreddit or our News channel on Discord.
- Linux User Space subreddit
- Linux User Space Discord Server
- Linux User Space Telegram
- Linux User Space Matrix
- Linux User Space Twitch
- Linux User Space Mastodon
- Linux User Space Twitter
We will discuss a couple of topics and some feedback. Our next distro is Linux Lite
Come back in two weeks for more Linux User Space
Stay tuned and interact with us on Twitter, Mastodon, Telegram, Matrix, Discord whatever. Give us your suggestions on our subreddit r/LinuxUserSpace Join the conversation. Talk to us, and give us more ideas. All the links in the show notes and on linuxuserspace.show.
We would like to acknowledge our top patrons. Thank you for your support!
- Eduardo S.
- Jill and Steve