Coming up in this episode
- The Catchup Episode (We've missed so much!)
- The Red Hat Recap
- Browser Watch...ing!
- Some feedback, and a focus
401 Audio Timestamps
0:00 Cold Open
2:16 The Gentoo Checkin
11:33 We Have a Lemmy!
19:24 Red Hat Recap
46:09 Browser Watch
1:23:05 Community Focus: Linux Matters
1:27:03 App Focus: Jerboa & Memmy
1:34:48 Next Time: Debian
- Gentoo check in - Use the Handbook! The wiki is just great in general.
- The Linux User Space Lemmy instance
- feddit's community browser
- Another Lemmy explorer
- 📺️ Give us a sub on YouTube and TILvids.
- 📽️ You can watch us live on Twitch the day after an episode drops.
- 😍 If you like what we're doing here, make sure to send us a buck over at https://patreon.com/linuxuserspace
RH takes their source and goes home
- July - IBM completed its acquisition of Red Hat. Jim Whitehurst said at the time.
- December - CentOS Stream announced as the successor to CentOS Linux.
- an FAQ linked in the CentOS announcement about Stream
- January - Red Hat announces more free RHEL.
- February - Brian Exelbierd noted on the Red Hat Developer site.
- March - Alma Linux 8.3 was released
- June - Rocky Linux followed with their 8.4 release
- Red Hat was posting 15% revenue increases every quarter of the year.
- IBM, despite its projected 3900 person layoff was growing at similar rates.
- April - Red Hat announement
- Ben Cotton and others were laid off.
- June - Red Hat announce that CentOS sources will no longer be on github
- Brian Exelbierd's post from February 2021 changed.
- Mike McGrath writes a clarification post
- Rocky Linux announces that they'll possibly be using the Universal Base Images
- July - Alma Linux no longer aims for bug-for-bug compatibility.
SUSE and Oracle
- Want to have a topic covered or have some feedback? - send us an email, firstname.lastname@example.org OR jump on over to the open forum on Lemmy
- Firefox 115 brings hardware video decoding for Intel GPUs and more.
- Vivaldi 6.1 they found a way to use Bing Chat.
- Edge blocks notification spam, now!
- Opera is relaunching as Opera One.
- Greenbone Open Source Vulnerability Management
- Leo recommends The Linux Commandline by Willian Shotts
- Dan recommends Learn Linux TV
- If there is something specific you want to know more about let us know.
- HP Elite Mini 800 PCs
- Lenovo M75q Mini PCs
- Dell OptiPlex Micro PCs
- The a11y project
- Orca is part of Gnome
- Other Gnome accessibility tools
- KDE accessibility tools
Catch these and other great topics as they unfold on our Subreddit or our News channel on Discord.
- 🗞️ Linux User Space Lemmy
- 📰 Linux User Space subreddit
- ⌨️ Linux User Space Discord Server
- 📲 Linux User Space Telegram
- ✉️ Linux User Space Matrix
- 📽️ Linux User Space Twitch
- 🐘 Linux User Space Mastodon
- 📜 Linux User Space Twitter
- 📺️ Linux User Space TILVids
App Focus Jerboa and Memmy
- Jerboa in the Google Play Store
- Jerboa in FDroid
- Jerboa GitHub repo
- Memmy in the Apple store
- Memmy GitHub repo
The history of Debian, a few thoughts, and whatever else we can cram into the show*
Come back in two weeks for more Linux User Space
Stay tuned 📡 and interact with us on Lemmy, Twitter, Mastodon, Telegram, Matrix, Discord whatever. Give us your suggestions on our subreddit r/LinuxUserSpace Join the conversation. Talk to us, and give us more ideas. All the links in the show notes and on linuxuserspace.show.
We would like to acknowledge 🤩 our top patrons. Thank you 🙏 for your support!
- Eduardo S.
- Jill and Steve
- Musical Coder