Coming up in this episode
- Vim stories
- The quick history of
- A snappy Mozilla watch
- Gnome can toggle too
- We take a sip of Cider
0:00 Cold Open
1:48 vim Stories
12:05 vi & vim History
22:13 A Few More Thoughts on vim
39:28 A Snappy Mozilla Watch
42:22 New Features to Gnome
58:23 Community Focus: DistroTube
1:00:32 App Focus: Cider
1:05:33 Next Time: Clear Linux
- Vim Stories
- There are many guides/shortcut cheatsheets out there. Here are a few that seem good:
History Series on Text Editors -
vi(Pronounced V, I)
- George Colouris
- Bill Joy
- ADM-3A Terminal and the keyboard layout
- Bill also hacked together a temporary, intermediary editor
- 1987 - A limited
viclone STEVIE, the ST Editor for VI Enthusiasts, was born.
- 1988 - Bram Moolenaar took the source for STEVIE and ported it to the Amiga which marked the first release of Vim. It was also known as the "wq text editor" at the time. Most folks take the acronym to mean
viImproved, but originally, it stood for
viImitation. It took on the Improved meaning later in 1993 around version 2.
- Bram Moolenaar
- Bram's Web page
- The original
visource code was released as open source.
- 2020 - Fedora switches from Vim to nano for the default text editor
- June 28, 2022 - Vim 9.0 is released!
- Want to have a topic covered or have some feedback? - send us an email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Catch these and other great topics as they unfold on our Subreddit or our News channel on Discord.
- Linux User Space subreddit
- Linux User Space Discord Server
- Linux User Space Telegram
- Linux User Space Matrix
Gnome Can Now...
- Toggle Speakers and Mics in 43!
We will discuss Clear Linux and the history.
Come back in two weeks for more Linux User Space
Stay tuned and interact with us on Twitter, Mastodon, Telegram, Matrix, Discord whatever. Give us your suggestions on our subreddit r/LinuxUserSpace Join the conversation. Talk to us, and give us more ideas. All the links in the show notes and on linuxuserspace.show.
We would like to acknowledge our top patrons. Thank you for your support!
- Eduardo S.
- Jill and Steve